The Sunday Schools lessons have been derived from a program called Kid’s Sunday School, a website that was developed by three Sunday School Teachers with an educational background back in 1999. The learn more about the program, please click here:
Here, we have found a wealth of resources to guide the children through a biblically based curriculum using fun and interactive exercises. The lessons follow the order of the Christian Calendar year; an outline of the curriculum can be found here:
Lessons for both the old and new testament lessons are found within the outlined curriculum. The current term, or ‘quarter’ for the 2015-2016 year can be found below:
- September 06, 2015 Christian Living – Walk the Narrow Path
- September 13, 2015 Christian Living – Keep Your Eyes on Jesus
- September 20, 2015 Christian Living – Be a Good Example
- September 27, 2015 Christian Living – Ready For Jesus
- October 04, 2015 Christian Living – My Christian Home
- October 11, 2015 The Miracles of Jesus – Jesus Heals a Paralytic
- October 18, 2015 The Book of Ruth – Following On Faith
- October 25, 2015 The Book of Ruth – Finding Favor
- November 01, 2015 The Book of Ruth – Facing Responsibility
- November 08, 2015 The Book of Ruth – Fulfilling God’s Plan
- November 15, 2015 Parables – The Wise and Foolish Builders
- November 22, 2015 Thanksgiving Lessons – Don’t Worry be Thankful
- November 29, 2015 The Miracles of Jesus – Jesus Heals Ten Lepers
A sample of a typical lesson plan would look as follows:
Lesson 5: My Christian Home
Lessons in this series: 1 2 3 4 5 Overview
In this lesson, the kids will discover the blessings that come from living in a Christian home, and how to respond to others who do not know Jesus.
Christian Living, Church, Family, Values.
AS KIDS ARRIVE (10 minutes)
Have plenty of crayons or colored markers available on the tables. Give each child two blank sheets of paper as they arrive. Explain they are to draw two pictures, one of a home where the people worship Jesus, and the other of a home where the family does not worship Jesus. Allow the children time to express their ideas freely. When finished, tape the pictures on the wall, and let the children talk about their two drawings.
Explain how there were many differences expressed in the drawings between the Christian homes and the others. Ask the children to describe some of the differences. Ask them which homes they would like to live in and why.
OPENING PRAYER AND PRAISE (5 minutes)
MEMORY WORK (10 minutes)
“As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 24:15b NIV
Me and My House (Puzzle)
Print enough copies of the tangram verse puzzle above to give one to each child.
SCRIPTURE READING AND DISCUSSION (15 minutes)
Our story today is about a time when Joshua was talking with the Israelites. He knew they were falling away from worshipping the one true God, so he gave the people a choice. To continue what they were doing, or give up their evil ways and serve the one and only God. As we read the story together, pretend you are with your family, and Joshua is speaking to you.
Read the following passage as the kids follow along in their Bibles.
Joshua 24:14-24 (Serving the Lord)
1. Who did Joshua say he and his household would serve? (The Lord.)
2. Who belongs to Joshua’s household? (One could assume that he was referring to family members, but it could have also included his servants.)
3. What did the people need to give up so they could serve the Lord? (Foreign gods.)
4. How did the people respond to Joshua? (They would serve the Lord.)
5. What would happen if the people chose to serve foreign gods in verse 19? (Bring disaster.)
6. Can a family serve the Lord and foreign gods at the same time? (No.) Why?
CLASS EXERCISE (10 minutes)
Keeping Warm (Object Talk)
ALTERNATE CLASS EXERCISE (10 minutes)
Christian Family Values (Activity)
ALTERNATE CLASS EXERCISE (10 minutes)
One Kid’s Treasure (Story)
APPLICATION (2 minutes)
A Christian home is a very important place. God richly blesses a home where everyone in the family serves Jesus and where they worship and praise the Lord. How does God bless a Christian home? In many different ways. He gives a family the ability to offer support and comfort to everyone in the family with the power and love of Jesus. A Christian family can call upon the Lord whenever someone is in need. A Christian home is one where people enjoy visiting, and where its family members are loving and caring. Isn’t it great to live in a Christian home?
Choose another exciting lesson plan from Kids Sunday School Place.
CLOSING PRAYER (2 minutes)